Borrowing & Library Use Policies
Currently registered students and JFKU faculty and staff members have full access and borrowing privileges. Other services vary depending on patron status:
Students, staff and faculty members should use their JFKU ID card as their library card. Please contact the Registrar’s Office to find out how to get a card. Alumni may use any valid form of identification (driver’s license, state ID card, etc.) as their library card.
Library materials must be checked out before they can leave the library.
The number of items checked out to one account may not exceed 50.
Since students must be currently registered to borrow library materials, all items are due at the end of the academic term unless the student registers before the term is up.
|Books in stacks||5 weeks||Twice||Yes||No|
|Books on reserve at
|1 week,||Once||No||$5 per day|
|Interlibrary loan books||Variable||Once||n/a||$1 per day|
|Periodicals||In-library use only||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Videos behind the Circulation Desk||2 hours In-Library use only - limit of three at a time||Twice||No||No|
|Faculty members 1 week - limit of five at a time||Once|
|Circulating videos & CDs||5 weeks||Twice||Yes||No|
|Theses or Final
|2 hours, In-library use only||Twice||No||No|
|1 week||Once||$5 day|
|same as book it
|Same as book||Same as book|
All students, alumni, faculty and staff members have a library account. Log into your account to check due dates, renew checked out items and check the status of holds, and interlibrary loan requests. To access your library account online, click on the "My Account" tab from the library homepage, or navigate to the "Log in to your account" link found on the upper right hand corner of the catalog page. You will need to log in to your account with your university ID number and password.
Students, alumni, faculty and staff members all have a university ID number, which appears on their university ID card. If you don’t have a card, you may contact any of the Libraries to find out your number.
You may renew certain items based on the loan rules in the table above. Log into your library account to renew library materials. There is a "My Account" tab in the top right corner of every page on the library site. Click on this tab, enter your University ID and password, and you may renew your books there. You may also contact us for renewal assistance.
Holds may be placed on regular circulating books and media for several purposes:
- To be wait-listed for an item checked out by another patron (they will be unable to renew the item).
- To reserve the item for pickup at one of our library locations.
- To request an item from another JFKU library (Usually take 2-3 business days).
You will need to be logged into your library account to place holds. Please see our instructions on how to place holds in the library catalog.
Use Interlibrary Loan to request materials not owned by the JFKU Libraries. You will be asked to login to our ILL system using your university ID number, as well as detailed information about the item you seek.
- Contact a librarian if you are not certain about access.
- Journal articles and book chapters are usually supplied via email in PDF format.
- Journal articles requested through Interlibrary Borrowing and not deliverable vie email will be available for pickup at the library of the JFKU Campus where you enrolled. Alternatively, you may request your article be sent to you via postal mail.
- Interlibrary Borrowing books will not be shipped to the borrower, but must be picked up in person.
- Distance students are encouraged to use their local libraries to obtain books not owned by the JFKU Libraries & Learning Resource Centers.
- Please request renewals 1 week in advance, as it will take time for us to get approval from the lending library.
- Overdue Interlibrary Borrowing items incur a $1 per day fine plus any additional fine charged by the lending library.
- No library materials may be checked out or renewed until the overdue item is returned.
Reserve materials incur a $5 per day overdue fine up to the replacement value of the item, plus a $15 processing fee.
For all other materials a courtesy overdue notice is sent, followed by a bill for $55 (average replacement cost plus a $15 processing fee). Once the bill is sent, no items may be renewed or checked out until the item is returned or the bill is paid.
When books have been highlighted, written in, damaged or lost, the actual replacement cost plus a $15 processing fee will be charged. No items may be renewed or checked out until the replacement fee has been paid.